Charles Conway
Charles Conway (SUBMITTED)
Charles William Conway, bracketed by to sheriff's deputies, fidgeted in his seat Tuesday as he was convicted of raping a 13-year-old boy.

The deputies hovered closer as he muttered inaudibly to his public defender and snapped at the deputies.

"Of course, I have an attitude," Conway said as the jury filed out. "I'm going to jail for something I didn't do."

Conway was found guilty of rape, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, unlawful contact with a minor, intimidation of a witness, unlawful restraint, false imprisonment and terroristic threats. He could be subject to a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years in state prison when he returns for sentencing Nov. 23.

What the York County jury did not hear during Conway's two-day trial is that he has a 1999 Maryland conviction for a third-degree sexual offense.

He has a pending Maryland charge as a Megan's Law violator for failing to inform state police there of his change of address to Pennsylvania. He has a pending charge here as a Megan's Law violator for failing to register his address in Shrewsbury with Pennsylvania State Police.

He also has a lengthy Maryland rap sheet for burglaries.

Prosecutor Heather Reiner said the Maryland sex offense conviction is similar to the Pennsylvania charge of statutory sexual assault.

Conway's attorney, Erin Thompson, declined to comment after trial.

"I'm pleased with the verdict," Reiner said.


"He got what he deserved."

Conway was accused of binding the teen's wrists and ankles with belts, gagging him with a sock and raping him. The teen testified he did not immediately tell anyone of the assault because Conway, a family friend, threatened to kill him if he did.

Conway testified Tuesday that he did not rape the teen. He was the only witness for the defense.

"Nothing happened," Conway told the jury. "Where this all came from, I don't know. Nothing happened."

Conway was arrested on the rape charges in Fort Wayne, Ind., by U.S. Marshals. He left Pennsylvania shortly after the rape, went to Baltimore, on to Virginia, back to Baltimore and then got a ride with a trucker to Indiana, he said.

He told the jury he did not flee because he was guilty but wanted to stay out of jail to take care of his then-pregnant girlfriend.